Monday, December 14, 2009

Grossology

On Friday Joshua and I went on a really gross field trip. In Frisco there is a Sci-Tech Discovery Center where Grossology is now on tour. Most the time we are trying to teach our kids when it is the appropriate place to burp or toot or whatever...and to use their manners. Well at this place it is very acceptable to talk about all of our bodily functions...in fact they want you to. The kids thought it was great as we learned about throw-up, poop, toots, blisters, burps, snot, boogers, and every other gross bodily function that is part of the human body.

Did you know that your small intestines is 20 ft. long?
- or that on average we burp 15 times a day
- or that E. Coli is good in the body but bad out of the body
- or that we swallow 1 liter of snot every day
These are just a few of the fun facts that we learned. We also got to help dissect a cow eyeball, and see how our stomach digests food...it was pretty gross to say the least.

Joshua with a giant pair of kidneys

His homemade blister....ewww!

We walked through a gigantic nose. These are some lovely nose hairs.


Noses come in all shapes and sizes. I don't know what Joshua is doing in this picture....silly kid.

Dissecting cow eyeballs. Another interesting fact that we learned is that cows have night vision and all cows have brown eyes.
A giant game of operation..Joshua with part of the intestines
This is Nigel...he constantly has snot dripping out of his nose.
The boys loved this station. They got to make farting noises over and over and over again.
This is the skin wall. Their were hair follicles that the kids could climb on like a climbing wall. We were running out of time so we just took a quick snap shot. The kids were really tired at this point and ready to have lunch. I don't know how they could even think about food after all the disgusting things we had seen and learned.
Joshua's group ready to head back to school.....it was a really gross day!

4 comments:

Tori Orgill said...

oh my gosh how fun! i love it! i wanna come, too! and that's really gross how much snot we swallow! YUCK! i bet joshua was in heaven!

Jeannie said...

That's so gross and fun at the same time, I bet my kids will love it! Next time we are up there I will have to look it up :) Thanks for sharing! ~Jeannie

emblair said...

So gross...yet so much fun! I'm totally going to have to check that out when my parents come back to town. Sweet. Or should I say Yuck?!

Kuulei said...

Ha HA! I totally want to take the kids there. I've heard about it. Mase would go crazy over all the gross-ness. ;-)

I hope you guys have a great 2010!! Love you much Kelly!! If you guys have a girl's night...don't forget me. ;-)