Thursday, November 02, 2006

I'm "IT"

My friend Leisha "tagged" me in a name game where you tell how and why you chose your kids names. I do not write as well as she does, but here I go............
When I was little I would dream about my family and think up all the different names that my kids would have. I would make lists of them in my journal. Jordan and Dylan were my top boy names. These were names that came from popular singing groups (New Kids on the Block) and television shows (Beverly Hills 90210). Girl names were always hard for me to come up with but I always loved the name Ashley ( and still do). But when it came to actually giving my kids names it was a little harder then I thought.
Braeden
When I was 14 I had a next door neighbor that was probably 4 years old and his name was Braeden. He was the cutest little boy I had ever seen. He would walk right into our house without knocking, in his underwear and cowboy boots, with his guns sitting on his hips in their holsters. His name went onto my list in my journal. When we found out we were having a boy, I knew immediately I wanted to name him Braeden. Cary wasn't so sure. He thought Braeden was to weird sounding and not "popular" enough. I wasn't backing down, I wanted a Braeden. And I got one. I looked up the meaning for Braeden and couldn't find it, but if I was to give it a meaning it would be strong, intelligent, a GOOD big brother. And that is exactly what my Braeden is. I can't see him being anything else other then a Braeden.
Joshua
I wanted to name Joshua, Caleb, but Cary wouldn't have it this time. I got to name Braeden and he was not going to give in on this one. Again he thought Caleb was a little weird. So we went into the hospital undecided. We had a few names chosen, Joshua being one of them but I was insistent that we name him Caleb. I thought I would be in so much pain that Cary would feel bad and let me have my way but that didn't happen. The birth of Joshua was so easy and literally painless that I was actually laughing during the delivery.......... So my plan had failed. But I knew when I took that first look at him, he was not a Caleb. Joshua fit him perfectly.
Kaitlyn
I was so excited to find out I was having a girl after I had my two boys. I went pink crazy! I think pretty much from the time I knew I was having a girl I knew she would be either a Kaitlyn or a Rachel. I let Cary have the final decision and he chose Kaitlyn. It was how we spelt it that we disagreed on. I wanted to spell it Katelyn and he wanted to spell it Caitlyn. So we compromised with Kaitlyn. Kaitlyn means little darling and that is exactly what she is!!

1 comment:

Leisha Mareth said...

I'm laughing so hard right now...we are totally from the same generation...Jordan, Dylan and Ashley were in my journal too!! LOL! I love your kid's names and I agree...Joshua doesn't look like a Caleb to me (although I like the name). I wanted Rachel to be a boy initially and I was going to name her Joshua!