A little while back we had an Enrichment Night where we were taught how to make homemade laundry detergent....I didn't go. My friend, Marisa, did though and she made some and she loves it! So I thought I would give it a try. It was super easy to make and way, way, way cheaper then laundry detergent from the store. This is the recipe from the Enrichment....
1 Fels Naptha soap bar
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda (not baking soda)
Grate soap bar into a fine powder. Heat one gallon of water in large pot. Add in soap powder. Mix with whisk slightly to break up any lumps. When soap is mostly melted, add in soda and borax. Stir. Take off heat and add 10 gallons of hot water. Stir. Let cool. Pour soap into containers to store. Use 1 cup soap per load of laundry.
All these ingredients are found at Kroger and this recipe makes a ton...more then two 5 gallon buckets worth. I did not want that much laundry detergent sitting in my small laundry room so Cary did some research and found a different recipe that uses the same ingredients but doesn't make nearly as much. Click here to view it. I used one five gallon bucket and it fits perfectly between my washer and dryer. It only took me about 20 minutes to make start to finish, but it does need to sit for 24 hours or at least over night. It is suppose to make about 312 loads of laundry for about $6.97. That's including the cost of the water it takes to wash the clothes.......not bad, right??
1 comment:
Very cool. So does it smell okay? I might have to give it a try...but I love my clothes smelling nice and fresh!
Post a Comment